Only one year after their first Town Meeting in March 1800, the people of Weston voted to build a meeting house and a group of principal landowners established The Weston and Landgrove United Society for that purpose. They proceeded with some deliberation to develop their plans (14 years), and in 1815 the subscribers were finally ready to meet..
Construction began in 1816 and was completed by 1832, financed by subscription and the sale of pews, with all religious societies in the town receiving a stated number of Sundays in proportion to their respective memberships. Builder Nathanial Tucker was paid $2605.75, half in cash, the rest in salable neat [MEAT?] stock (calves) or building materials. The building was 50 feet long and 40 feet wide with a balcony on three sides and became the Weston-Landgrove Union Meeting House.
In 1866, the structure was deeded to the Methodist Episcopal Church, and a floor was built at the balcony level. The second floor was for church services; the lower section was sold to the Town and became the Town Hall. The town paid half the cost of maintaining the building.
With the construction of the present Town Office building in 1938 and the later transfer of Town Meetings to the Playhouse, the Town no longer needed the lower half of the building and sold it back to the Methodist Church. The upper floor was then removed, reopening the balcony and restoring the sanctuary as it is today. A detailed account of these events can be found on pages 145 and 150, Waters of the Lonely Way.